Day 7: today I am thankful for my health insurance and that so many others will now have the same benefits as I do.
The topic that I felt most strongly about in this election was health care. I can't accept the stories I have heard about people with pre-existing conditions not being able to get coverage. I find it unacceptable that the highest reason for bankruptcy is medical bills. It seems unbelievable that some people cap out their insurance in the middle of cancer treatment. And while maybe the most controversial, end-of-life conversations just have to be had.
Here is my health care story that changed my view forever. Just over 4 years ago (right before the '08 election, when health care reform was being talked about), I had horrible abdominal pain. We were trying for a second child and I was pretty sure I was having a very early miscarriage. I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I would not have gone to the doctor if I didn't have medical insurance on that day. The pain was intense (I actually passed out in the car - at work - with my boss - yikes!), but it passed quickly. About an hour after that, I decided to call my doctor to see if they recommended me going to the doctor or just letting my body do what it is going to do. Of course, they suggested, go get a pregnancy test to figure it all out. Turns out a positive pregnancy test, but negative ultrasound (no sign of baby in the uterus), suggested a strong chance that this was an ectopic pregnancy. Many blood tests later, it was confirmed, and I had to take a pill to abort the baby. It all happened over the course of 5-7 days and everything went back to normal.
Once I had a chance to reflect, the overwhelming emotion, was gratitude that I had insurance. The doctor stressed how time critical this whole thing was, and if I hadn't gone to the doctor that day, the worse case scenario would be rupture in my fallopian tube - which realistically would have resulted in surgery and tubes tied, but again, worst case, women actually do die from this. The actual cost of my scenario to me was maybe $50 in co-pays, blood tests, and prescriptions. Two days off work. The actual cost to the insurance company, probably $2,000 - $3,000 (Urgent care doctor, ultrasound, 7 pr so blood tests, another doctor visit, medicine). The possible costs of not getting immediate attention because I wouldn't have had insurance, I don't want to even think about it...$20,000? Maybe more? Considering that scenario, I probably wouldn't have a salaried job if I didn't have insurance, and therefore $20,000 might be half a years salary or worse. This would have been a significant life changing event for me.
This is just my one story, and I am sure that everyone their own story. Why should the fact that I am lucky enough to have been born to educated parents, had a good education, and got myself a good job that provides health insurance, make me deserve good health care over my hypothetical parallel self with no insurance. I believe it is as simple as being born to educated parents that sets you on a path to success or failure. Let's get more people educated so that they in turn have these successful children, and the pattern of success will multiply.
I know there is a debate over nearly every sentence in this post. I know there are tremendous costs associated with this. However, in the end, the benefits far outweigh the costs, and I am willing, personally, to pay a little extra (actually a lot extra) for the fact that everyone will have the same benefits that I do.
I hope that the Republicans come to the table with their ideas and actually make the health care reform better and not keep trying to reject it wholly. Tort reform is crucial! How about, if you have the government health care, the lawsuit cap be something reasonable? The doctors would flock to working in that system.
There is probably much more to say about this topic but I have to get my day started. Day 8 and 9 will be tonight!
No comments:
Post a Comment