Sunday, June 13, 2010

Future World Cup star?


I don't think so.

The story starts about 2 weeks ago when I signed Mason up for a City soccer class. He had talked about soccer for a couple of months, and I thought he was ready. I have to be careful when I tell Mason things that are going to happen in the future because he has no concept of time yet. If I tell him he is going to be soccer in two weeks, he asks me every 10 minutes if it is time for soccer. He still asks if Christmas is here "when I wake up?"

He was SOOOO excited for soccer. Everyone knew about his upcoming class including perfect strangers at the store. I never would have guessed that when Saturday morning rolled around, he started to get nervous. He has never shown any signs of nerves before, but he told me that his tummy hurt and he didn't think he could play soccer today. I said that we would just go to the field and watch and if he didn't want to play he wouldn't have to. That seemed to do the trick, but it makes me sad that he is showing these nervous habits. I have always been that way, and I prayed that my children would not be afraid of doing new things like I always was (am). I sure hope that I am not projecting my emotions onto him in any way.

We did get out there, and he wasn't nervous anymore once he saw the playground and the ANTS! He loves to stomp on ants and that will keep him occupied for a good 30 minutes. Once the class started he was hesitant to join, not because of nerves, but because of all the ants that needed to be stomped.

He did eventually join once the kids started running around, but listening is not his strong suit. He didn't follow any of the instructions. He only wanted to kick the ball into the goal. He wanted no part of the drills. The class was for 3 to 5 year olds, so he was on the young end of the class. Maybe next year will be a little better. There are 6 more classes too, so hopefully by the end of July he will get the hang of it. Either that or the park will be completely free of ants!

On a side note, I got the first glimpse of crazy soccer parents. It is so funny to hear some of the comments. These kids are three years old, give them a break! One dad constantly was yelling out right foot, left foot, right foot, left...His son was totally decked out in cleats, pads, soccer jersey and all. Poor kid...

Here are a couple more pictures:






No comments:

Post a Comment