Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The morning routine

I was very worried about how hectic our mornings were going to have to be, but now that we have gotten through a few days, it's really not that bad.  I actually enjoy the kids the most in the morning.  Sometimes the evening can be frustrating because Mason is all amped up and I have no time to unwind after work.  But mornings are wonderful.

How could it not be wonderful when the first thing you hear is the tiniest little voice saying, "good morning momma."  That is priceless!  Mason has always been a dream in the morning; here is his morning routine at 3 and a half: He wakes up about 5:30, says the classic "good morning momma, I sleep bery good."  He then wants two vitamins immediately, and downstairs for cereal.  Sometime while I was pregnant we starting taking a shortcut with breakfast and let him eat dry cereal on the couch.  We lay a blanket down and he calls it his picnic.  Over the months the breakfast has become much more elaborate.  This morning it was mini wheats, trix, frosted flakes, AND honeycomb.  I know that I should not honor his every wish - but this is one area that I am very easy going.  When I was growing up there was a rule that only one cereal box could be opened at a time - and I hated it!!!  I promised I would never do that to my kids - so now Mason has 4 different kinds every day.  I may have to reign this in a little bit, but for now, it makes him happy.  (today was also the first time he had honeycomb, and he asked if he could comb my hair with it ha!)  After Chuggington is over (5:55 am) he comes upstairs to get dressed and brush his teeth.  He loves to brush his teeth (and wash his hands, btw) so much so that it annoys me.  I wonder if other parents go through this.  I sometimes pray that he forgets to brush his teeth so that I don't have to sit there and turn on and off the water and all - how terrible is that?!

Alex is easy in the morning.  He isn't real consistent on his wake up times yet.  Sometimes it is 4 am and sometimes I have to wake him by 5:45 to feed him so we are not late.  He wakes up with a smile and he is as quiet as a mouse all morning.  After I feed him, I just lay him on the floor in the bathroom and he looks around until we are ready to go.  Pretty easy!

Here is a quick picture from this morning:
And I have to say that I am pretty proud of myself to be organized enough to be able to take this snapshot!

Right after this picture, Mason was trying to get Alex to "talk" and he said something like, "Gaaaa" which Mason translated as: "momma he said, 'Hi Mason, I want to play fix Thomas.'"  That is so funny to me.  BTW, Fix Thomas means to play "Spin and Fix Thomas" which is a toy he got at Christmas that was too advanced for him, and I always tell him that he can play it with his brother when he gets bigger. So every since he was born, he has been bugging me that it is time to play with the toy because "his brother is bigger now."

On the way to daycare we always listen to a CD that has nursery rhymes on it.  Mason calls it the Humpty Dumpty music.  He has memorized every word on the entire CD and even knows the next song that is coming before it starts.  Now I remember being able to do this to New Kids on the Block or Debbie Gibson, but it amazes me that he can do it at 3 and a half.  The other funny thing about this CD is that the singer has a British accent and Mason pronounces the words as if he has an accent.  For example, the words are "Goosey Goosey Gander, wither shall I wander" but if I say it like that he always corrects me and says, "NO Momma!  It's goosey goosey ganda, wither shall I wonda."  Funny!

So that's my morning.

Oh, one more thing that keeps making me smile.  When I picked the boys up from daycare, Laurence called Alex a stamp, and I was so confused, but since her native language is French I just thought maybe it was a french thing.  She elaborated and says that he clings to her like a postage stamp - and now that is the only way I can describe his hold on you.  He just molds right into your body and he is pretty heavy and holds on tight.  It feels like something is permanently attached to you instead of you holding a baby - like a postage stamp!

BYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment