The first day was a bonus day because Steve wasn't working - he hurt his foot at work which forced an extra unexpected week off - so we started our trip one day earlier. My only goal for the trip was to do things we can't do here. I found a farm (right in Irvine) where they pull you around on a tractor and you can pick your own fruit. I really enjoyed it. It is a CSA which I so long for here in Vegas. Oh well...
The farm is all organic so we could eat the veggies right from the ground. We had SWEET corn - raw - I couldn't believe corn was so sweet right from the ground. I am not much of a cook - meaning I am a terrible cook, so I am clueless about pretty much everything dealing with food.
Alex just hung out in the front carrier (basically the whole trip).
The next day we went to the Long Beach Aquarium sans camera...oops. Mason enjoyed it, but I thought he would get a little more excited about some of the things. He is still a little young for things that I think he is ready for. For instance I thought he would LOVE to touch the sting rays but he was more interested in playing with the water that splashed on the concrete. It is a really fun aquarium though, and I know we will be back many times.
Following the aquarium, I had a brilliant idea to get the best pastrami sandwich from The Best I Ever Ate show. Have you seen this show? We love it and think about planning vacations around eating all the food featured on this show. Well the best pastrami sandwich is supposedly in LA at Langer's Deli. I googled it and see it is 30 minutes from the aquarium; so how bad could that be? Well it was bad. Real bad. 30 minutes in LA is about 1 hour - then with bad directions and a "talkative" navigator - 1.5 stressful hours later we drove past the deli and saw a line down the block just to walk in the place. There was no place to park, crazy street walkers everywhere, one-way streets, no parking zones (from 1 to 3 on Fridays - really?!?!). Once we finally found a parking space, everyone had had enough and we decided to go back home. Maybe if we didn't have two kids with us we could have trudged through it, but my momma-antenna were going crazy and I didn't want them standing on that street corner.
On Saturday we went to the Santa Ana zoo - which is the perfect little zoo for kids. Mason loves it there and I love the weather. We got to ride on a camel, where Mason kept repeating, "I've never been on a camel before!" As if, finally, we let him start experiencing life.
And the funniest thing of the day is when Mason saw the bald eagle. He said the eagle looks mad. His conversation went something like this:
M: Why is he mad?
Kathleen: He's not mad, he's just a bird.
M: But he looks grumpy.
K: Maybe he misses his mommy.
M: But he looks so mad.
K: Maybe you should try to make him smile.
So Mason tried his best to make the bald eagle smile by making faces at him:
Mason was super bummed that his funny faces didn't work. Man, this boy cracks us up!
That night we left the boys with Grandma so she could have some Grandma time, we could have some adult time, and the boys could get spoiled. She let Mason wash all her rocks - remember it is the little things he loves - and she got to feed him all the junk food she wanted without Mom hovering around. But I did find out the next morning that "Grandma is not very good at puzzles." He said this like - what is wrong with her - maybe they should hold her back a grade so she catches up with the rest of us. HA!
I can't believe I didn't take any pictures of Grandma's new cat Bailey, but Mason and Bailey were instant friends. This is the coolest cat I have ever seen, and she played with Mason just like she was a little puppy dog. It was so funny to watch them. And now Sassy (the older cat) was the mean one. He just kept saying, "Why is Sassy mad at me?" He still remembers that Sassy nipped at him about a year ago, and he still thinks Sassy is mad at him. I think Sassy was the most grateful to have Bailey around. She is just a normal cat that doesn't like screaming boys around.
The next day was a quick trip to the beach and then we just relaxed the rest of the day. I just love the cool weather, being spoiled for a few days, and the break from the mundane house I have been stuck in for the past three months. It was a nice little vacation!
On Saturday we went to the Santa Ana zoo - which is the perfect little zoo for kids. Mason loves it there and I love the weather. We got to ride on a camel, where Mason kept repeating, "I've never been on a camel before!" As if, finally, we let him start experiencing life.
| Aunt Wendy and happy baby Alex. |
| The huge bugs that scared Mason |
| Mason and Aunt Kathleen watching Mason's favorite thing in the world - trains! |
| The coolest anteater! |
M: Why is he mad?
Kathleen: He's not mad, he's just a bird.
M: But he looks grumpy.
K: Maybe he misses his mommy.
M: But he looks so mad.
K: Maybe you should try to make him smile.
So Mason tried his best to make the bald eagle smile by making faces at him:
| The "mad" Bald Eagle |
That night we left the boys with Grandma so she could have some Grandma time, we could have some adult time, and the boys could get spoiled. She let Mason wash all her rocks - remember it is the little things he loves - and she got to feed him all the junk food she wanted without Mom hovering around. But I did find out the next morning that "Grandma is not very good at puzzles." He said this like - what is wrong with her - maybe they should hold her back a grade so she catches up with the rest of us. HA!
I can't believe I didn't take any pictures of Grandma's new cat Bailey, but Mason and Bailey were instant friends. This is the coolest cat I have ever seen, and she played with Mason just like she was a little puppy dog. It was so funny to watch them. And now Sassy (the older cat) was the mean one. He just kept saying, "Why is Sassy mad at me?" He still remembers that Sassy nipped at him about a year ago, and he still thinks Sassy is mad at him. I think Sassy was the most grateful to have Bailey around. She is just a normal cat that doesn't like screaming boys around.
The next day was a quick trip to the beach and then we just relaxed the rest of the day. I just love the cool weather, being spoiled for a few days, and the break from the mundane house I have been stuck in for the past three months. It was a nice little vacation!
No comments:
Post a Comment