Friday, September 23, 2011

September Update

I just went to organize my pictures and realized I didn't take a single picture other than our Disneyland trip in September. Major fail.  I love to document the daily happenings, and I surely didn't do a good job this month.  I guess we had a lot of stress going on around the house though.  I give myself a pass.

Again, I will start with the current stuff because I hate feeling like I am behind.  Last night we had a parent night at school.  I was very eager to go because I was worried about how much actual learning was going on with the pre-school age group compared to the Kindergarteners.  I left feeling better than going in, so I guess that was good.  My apprehension was that I was worried the pre-school group were singled out as not ready, not as good, the "b" group, etc. as compared to the Kindergarteners.  Ms. Margot is the teacher for the pre-schoolers, and she assured me that was not the case at all.  She said she would stay cognizant of that feeling and make sure that the kids do not feel bad about being taken out of the class.  She said that Mason was very smart and ready for much of the kindergarten concepts but his attention span is not there yet.  If the kindergarteners are doing reading for 30 minutes, he is done with that concept after about 10 minutes.  Ms. Margot says that she just watches for those clues that shows the pre-schoolers are not paying attention anymore, and then they all go as a group to the kitchen to do other activities.  She says, they are usually happy to be doing something different, because they are bored.

I was proud that she said Mason was a really good influence on the rest of the preschoolers because of his advanced language and social skills.  She says he is sort of like the leader of the kids, and they learn from Mason.  She says he always answers questions when the teacher asks things, he always participates, and he always seems to be happy.  That sounds just like my son, so I guess he is doing good.  There are a huge number of boys in the class - I think only 3 girls - and she says the challenge is to get them to want to do anything besides legos and trucks.  I don't see much wrong with legos and trucks though.

His reading is going really well.  He truly amazes me every time we sit down to read.  He just gets it and reads so well.  We have a spelling/phonics game on the ipad that we haven't played for a few months.  We started it again last night and I wondered if he was ready for the the 2nd level.  The first is all three letter words: pen, hat, lid, hug, etc.  The second level is with consonant blends.  I started it up and the first word that came up was thumb, and I thought no way, too hard.  But he right away knew that it was th. Then the vowels are always the hardest and I usually have to say ugh, ugh, ugh and he knows that it is u. And he knew right away that the m comes next.  He didn't know what the last letter was, but when I helped him, he said right away, "oh, it's a silent b."  He just shocks me on how fast he picks up on this stuff.  It is a really good app if anyone wants to download it: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/montessori-crosswords-teach/id384334005?mt=8

Now on to Alex.  He is the king of the leg hug.  He loves to waddle up to you and just give you the biggest squeeze around your legs.  He loves to have his head rubbed and back scratched.  It is so sweet.  I love that he is a hugger!  He is pointing and grunting all the time.  I swear he did say thank you one time last week.  I had given him something, and I said "say thank you" (like I always do), and finally he said, "dank do".  It only happened this one time, but I will take it.  The doctor is still a little worried about him,  but I am not anymore.  I think he will catch up in his own time.  He is obviously a very quiet child, but I refuse to think that is a negative thing.  He plays so well with Mason.  They are starting to wrestle just a little and poor Alex always gets pinned.  He just lays perfectly still until Mason gets up.  Actually he does that every time he falls.  He just freezes in whatever position he fell.  He will stay there for quite a while.  It is as if he is thinks nobody will notice what just happened if he doesn't move at all.  Now that I am writing this all down, he is reminding me very much like a small puppy dog.

I guess it is time to get on with all the chores for the day, but I promise that tonight I will write about our fun Disneyland trip.  Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment