Saturday, February 5, 2011

Big news on the job front

I am excited to go to work again because I got to change jobs!  I am now a Construction Engineer.  It is a lateral transfer to another department, still within the same division.  I asked if I could do this a couple of months ago when I saw a need in the Construction group.  Design is a little over-staffed and Construction needed help because of some people leaving.  I thought it couldn't hurt to ask, so I did.  Management seemed a little surprised that I wanted to do this, but I was so ready for any new challenge.  I have been a Design Engineer in the exact same capacity for 9 years.  That is just too long for any one job.  I was starting to loose interest, to not want to do the every day tasks, my mind wandered all the time, and so on.

It is no secret that I want to one day move up to the management level, so I know that getting some new experience and becoming more well-rounded is only going to help those chances.  The job will be lots of paperwork, lots of site visits, meetings with contractors, etc.  I already know that it will be a little more tiring.  You just have to be UP more.  Sometimes just talking on the phone can wear me out.  It is part of being introverted I guess.  Steve can talk on the phone for hours and he says it energizes him. Me, on the other hand, gets tired just listening to that much talking.  I am sure I will get used to it though.  It is always a good thing to step a little outside of your comfort zone in order to grow and improve.

I will keep you posted on how things go.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Janelle! That is wonderful! I just spoke to my boss about moving next school year too - I'd like to teach the full-day Kindergarten - hmmm...maybe I'm even crazier than I look!

    ReplyDelete