Sunday, February 27, 2011

LIfetime Fitness

On my Mighty Life List was to complete a triathlon.  I made the first step in achieving that goal yesterday when I signed up for Lifetime Fitness.  I have to admit, I am having a little buyer's remorse, because it so expensive.  It is a new club opening in May, and will be sort of like a country club, resort, and gym all combined into one.  I couple of my friends found it first, and I went to the website and fell in love.  The bottom line is that it will cost $220/month for the whole family, which is a heck of a lot of money every month, but it is all about what you spend your money on, right?  We are saving $420/month starting next month because of Mason going to school, so that is how we are affording it.

My intention is that we use it for the summer and then re-evaluate how much we will really use it.  I am not  going to spend that much money to only use it once in a while.

They have a triathlon class that you can take to help you train for all aspects of the sport.  They have hot yoga (which I am a little skeptical about, but they say they will have it).  They have real pilates with the machines (people spend $20+/class for this).  There are three pools.  The outdoor pool will be heated to 80 degrees all year long.   There is a baby area, kid area, and adult area.  There will be swimming lessons for $50/month, which I am finding is pretty cheap.  They gave us $300 of "LT bucks" for signing up, so that will pay for the swimming lessons.  There is even a locker room for kids (so that they don't bother the adults).  There is childcare, a kids gym, a kids indoor soccer field and basketball court, and all sorts of classes for them.  Steve will probably use the weights only, but he goes nearly every day, so this will be a toss-up if he wants to stay a member.

They don't have tennis, so this is my real dilemma.  Am I really ready to stop playing tennis completely?  Tennis costs about $50-80 per month, plus the time - I just can't do both.  They have a squash court, and it might be fun to learn to play squash (at least through the summer when it is almost too hot to play tennis anyway).  I am daydreaming about fun at the pool with Mason, but Alex is still lots of work at the pool.  I am not sure this will really be as fun as I am imagining.

Anyway, as you can probably tell from the way this is written, I haven't convinced myself this was a good purchase, but there is a complete money back guarantee (14 days from when it opens), including the sign-up fee, so really, there is no loss if I don't like it.

1 comment:

  1. Well, with the money back guarantee it is certainly worth a shot. Places like gymboree charge $60-$80 for a child once a week for forty-five minutes so if the kids get benefits with the gym I can see how it would start to provide value. I had no idea swimming lessons could cost that much! Right now we just do a gymcats class at the community center and it is usually $22 for about 6 weeks or so, once a week. We did do one round of swim lessons at UNLV summer before last but I don't think they offer that anymore.

    ReplyDelete