Sunday, July 25, 2010

My wonderful Grandpa

Lately I have been thinking a lot of my Grandpa. Seeing Kenny Guinn die brought back so many memories.  My grandpa was a principal when Kenny Guinn was the CCSD Superintendent.  If my grandpa were still alive he would have been very saddened by his passing.  We probably would have heard many stories about his principal years because he loved telling stories.

I while back I went through all his pictures and things and he always had little notes on the backs (or fronts) of pictures. I found this letter on ordinary paper, folded irregularly, and taped together so that you have to break the tape to read it. On the front it says:

For Marie, Only when needed (undated) J

It was unsealed, so I read it:
To Marie: (undated)
If I shall die before I reach my journey's end. I will cross many rivers and come at last to the sea.
-So wide you cannot see the further shore.
Yet, I will go on-on-
But I will still have far to go
-He who needs others is forever shackled
-He who is needed by others is forever sad
I will soon drop those shackles and put sadness away.
-And now I will wander into the kingpin of the great void. I fear no evils but great unknown comfort. As this life was full and worthy to me. One person made the reality of time a blessing and all that was good was from her warmth and love. Yes - We will meet again - Sweet Marie.
J

He then drew a little stick figure of a man and woman hugging (which was his signature doodle). It also has in pencil (read to Marie 2/1/99).

He lived 10 years past this date.
My grandpa and grandma the way I remember them the best.

Now my grandma is in an assisted living place, and I am not proud of this, but it is a chore to visit her.  But reading this and remembering how much my grandpa loved my grandma makes it much easier to visit and make sure she is taken care of.  
Here is sweet Marie a couple of weeks ago with Alex.

No comments:

Post a Comment